rent-a-room tax break
rent-a-room tax break

The rent-a-room tax break

HMRC’s rent-a-room scheme is an optional exemption scheme, which allows individuals to receive up to £7,500 of tax-free gross income (income before expenses) from renting out spare rooms in their only or main home.  The exemption is halved where the income is shared with a partner or someone else.  Broadly, as long as income is below the annual threshold, it does not need to be reported to HMRC.  If income exceeds the threshold, it needs to be reported to HMRC via the self-assessment system.

In order to qualify under the rent-a-room scheme, the accommodation must be furnished and a lodger can occupy a single room or an entire floor of the house.  However, the scheme doesn’t apply if the house is converted into separate flats that are rented out.  The scheme cannot be used if the accommodation is in a UK home which is let whilst the landlord lives abroad.

The rent-a-room tax break does not apply where part of a home is let as an office or other business premises.  The relief only covers the circumstance where payments are made for the use of living accommodation.

Additional Services 

Sometimes additional services are provided, for example, cleaning and laundry.  The payments for such services must be added to the rent to work out the total receipts.  If income exceeds £7,500 a year in total, a liability to tax will arise, even if the rent itself is less than that.


You can opt in to the scheme at any time if:

 – you’re a resident landlord, whether or not you own your home
 – you run a bed and breakfast or a guest house

You cannot use the scheme for homes converted into separate flats.

An Example

During 2020/21, Flo lets out a room in her home.  She receives total income of £11,000 (£10,800 rent plus £200 towards bills). She incurs expenses of £3,000.  If she uses method A to calculate her tax liability she will pay tax on £8,000 (£11,000 less £3,000).  If she uses method B, she will pay tax on £3,500 (£11,000 less £7,500).  Flo is better off using method B.

Even though the tax rules for the rent-a-room scheme are different to the general property income tax rules, a resident landlord will still have certain responsibilities towards tenants, particularly in relation to safety.

For further information, see the GOV.UK website at

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments